Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holiday Flicks That Don’t Disappoint!

Whenever I think holidays, certain movies always come to mind, these are my absolute favorite movies to watch during the holidays. No worries I kept the cheesy heart felt sentiment to the bare minimum.

Bad Santa

A twisted yet hilarious tale of a depraved safe cracker (Billy Bob Thornton) with no path other than straight to hell. From beginning to end, everything about this movie is hilarious. Let’s face it what could be funnier than a vomit & urine covered miscreant who also happens to be Santa.



ELF

Nothing screams Christmas like a 6’3” elf hopped up on sugar with the mindset of a 12-year-old child from the 1980’s. Will Ferrell makes this film absurdly funny! No actor in any film is as believable as him in this film. (I kid or do I)



Scrooged

A retelling of Charles Dickens' classic “Christmas carol” with Bill Murray, nuff said!



Christmas Vacation

The Christmas mishaps of Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase). I almost feel bad for him throughout these films but then I realize what a clown he is and it occurs to me that he deserves most of what he gets. In the end, all is right in the universe.



Home alone 1 & 2

I think Christmas & these films pop into my head more than likely because of the dozens of times I have seen these since childhood. On the other hand, it could be the warm fuzzy feeling I get when two robbers try to kill little Kevin (Macaulay Culkin). Oh the warmth.



Santa Claus the movie

Is it the pure evil of John Lithgow trying to create a sequel to a beloved holiday and trying to destroy Santa Claus or is it the sleigh and reindeer rocketing through the sky? Nope it’s the candy canes! While this movie is an 80’s classic as well as one of my favs, one thought of this film always brings me to those candy canes that make you float & how much I wanted one!



Ernest saves Christmas

Oh no not that movie! Yes that movie! This is a fav I haven’t seen in years but no matter how horrible you think those Ernest movies are (and they are) they're still funny and just because of that simple fact you’ll enjoy it but only if you take off your cynical shades and that too cool for school façade.



Meet the parents

For many the holidays are a time of joy for the rest of us they are filled with awkward moments with in-laws. As long as it’s not Deniro at the head of that dinner table, everything will be okay. Mr. Jinx 4 life!



Fred Claus

All the sarcastic cynical behavior we have come to expect from Vince Vaughn. I wouldn't exactly add this to the classic category it’s filled with holiday fun never the less.



Nightmare before Christmas

The beloved Tim Burton somewhat anti-Christmas story of Jack Skellington’s quest to create his own misguided version of Christmas and who could blame him that suit screams Christmas or diabetes. Whichever you celebrate Christmas or diabetes you will dig this colorful story.




A Christmas story

This is not an all time favorite of mine but that leg lamp kicks ass & I want one, I also didn’t want to see a “what about Christmas story” comment.


March of the wooden soldiers

(aka BABES IN TOYLAND.)

I grew up on black and white classics so naturally lucky number 13 is an all time childhood favorite of mine. Every year around the holidays, I looked forward to this Laurel & Hardy classic and have yet to see this for many years. More than likely because nothing transformers or kills terrorists.

Notable holiday specials some for the child or degenerate in all of us.

Rudolf the red nose reindeer

Frosty the Snowman

Any Charlie Brown special

Robot chicken Christmas special

Squidbillies - Christmas hostage

South Park - Mr. Hanky specials & red sleigh down

American Dad - For Whom the Sleigh Bell Tolls

Futurama Xmas specials

No comments: