Thursday, December 8, 2011

photoshop sketch tutorial

Done Dec 17, 2008

Intro

I first discovered this technique by accident; I used a Photoshop plug in called "outliner" by "image skill" to detect the lines in a photo so I can sketch the photo by hand. Then I created a separate sketch with the photocopy plug-in so I can see shading, coming from a primarily comic influenced art style I thought it would be easier for me to draw if I could see all the detail from two different sources.

After a few failed attempts any hand sketching skill I had have long since dissolved, I realized that I could merge the two images & make a detailed Photoshop sketch. I usually use tutorials to learn new techniques but doing a Photoshop sketch was the last thing I cared about doing so if there is a similar tutorial out there I have not read up on it.

Now on to the tutorial

First, choose the photo you want to sketch. I chose one of JASMIN ST CLAIRE.


Duplicate the layer. (Right click the background image in the layers area)



Hide the duplicate layer & proceed to edit the original layer.

Go to filter/sketch/photocopy
Adjust the detail & darkness accordingly keeping in mind that this will be the shading part of the sketch & it will be under the other layer.



Go to the duplicate layer. For this I use a plug-in called outliner by image skill adjust edges & details accordingly. Their will be a ton of specs & dots you can use for detail. Select the brush tool & choose the background color so you can shape specs to you liking.



Lower the duplicates opacity so you can see where the shading will be this way you can eliminate any unwanted specs. Another way to edit is to toggle back & forth between layers. Try to keep specs where there is shading, darkness & along edges.


Go to the background image & edit it in a similar way as the top layer eliminating any unwanted shading. You can edit the bottom layer while the top layer is still somewhat visible, that way it will be easier to remove unwanted shading.



NOW adjust the top layers opacity. Start low then work your way up to make it look like its one image.



I usually try to make something stick out on the photo; eyes, an article of clothing ECT on this one I chose her cross. I forgot to create a third layer for this so save your work reopen it & re open the original photo.

Zoom in select edit in quick mask mode. After highlighting it with the brush select, edit in standard. Click select & inverse then click the magic wand tool right click & select layer via cut now delete the background.




Then move it to the sketch where it is in the photo. I want it to stick out a little more so I added an outer glow to it.
Go to layer/layer style & select outer glow & adjust to you liking.



Select layer go to new & name it smoke. For this, I use a downloadable brush set called smoke brushes set 1 by falln stock. Select the desired color I use black so I can see exactly where the smoke will be then use different brushes to surround the subject in the photo.







Then lower of the opacity of the smoke layer to make it appear grey.

Create a new layer to add the person's name. I choose a font I think the person might like something that will fit their style; Jasmin is into metal so I will go with something somewhat dark I went with Blackwood castle.



Go to layer/layer style/gradient overlay replace the white with red by clicking the little box.



Go to layer/layer style/drop shadow



Then

Go to inner glow select the same red as the gradient & adjust to your liking.





Then

Go to stroke select black & adjust to your liking I chose 1.






That's it my version of a Photoshop sketch. Hope this was easy to follow, it's my first tutorial & I tried my best NOT to be verbose

Final Version Can Be Seen Here...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=287377391303535&set=a.106027019438574.3191.106025689438707&type=3&theater

No comments: